Campbell-Lewis Funeral Home has been serving Saline and surrounding counties since 1895. It all began with R.W. Campbell, Sr., an 1895 graduate of the Oriental School of Embalming who founded the R.W.Campbell Undertaking Company at 70 W. Morgan St. in Marshall. In 1906, a 20 year old young man named James H. Lewis, Sr., began work at the undertaking company and then attended the Eckles School of Embalming and received his Missouri embalmer license, number 169. In 1930, R.W.Campbell, Jr., joined his father and Lewis at the funeral home and in 1938, after the death of R.W. Campbell, Sr., James H. Lewis, Sr. purchased half interest in the business and the partners named the business Campbell-Lewis Funeral Home.
Funeral Home 1951
In 1948 upon completion of mortuary school at the University of Mortuary Science, James H. Lewis, Jr. joined his father and Campbell in the business.
From the founding of the funeral home the business remained in the same location until the partners purchased a residence at 226 S. Odell in 1949. The residence was transformed into a funeral home and since that time it has undergone many changes, renovations and upgrades, allowing the business to remain in the same location even today.
Funeral Home 1963
In 1964 the younger Lewis purchased his fathers interest in the funeral home and in 1970 he purchased the remaining interest from R.W. Campbell, Jr., making him the sole owner of the long time business.
1975 brought the third generation of the Lewis family into the business with the graduation of James H. Lewis, IV (Jim) from the Dallas Institute of Mortuary Science.
Funeral Home 1985
From 1975 until the death of the eldest Lewis, three generations served the community at the same time. On November 19,1980, James H. Lewis, Sr. died and at the time of his death he was the oldest licensed embalmer in the state of Missouri. On February 7, 1993, James H. Lewis, Jr. died and after his death, James H. Lewis, IV followed in his dad's footstoops and purchased all interest in the funeral home to keep the funeral home family owned and operated.
Campbell-Lewis Funeral Home-2008
Jim Lewis, the third generation of the Lewis family to serve this area,continues to own and operate the business founded over a century ago.
Jim and his wife, Julie Evans Lewis, are actively involved in the day today operations of the funeral home and are proud to be a part of such along history of service to Saline and surrounding counties.